Bobby was born 15 weeks early, weighing a tiny 1lb 10oz. After he was born I briefly saw him in an incubator before he was rushed off to NICU.

Six hours later I was taken to see him properly for the first time. I was shocked, he didn’t look like a baby. He was in a plastic box and was covered in wires and tubes. I couldn’t believe this was our precious baby boy. I couldn’t help but feel I had failed him. Was it my fault I couldn’t carry him long enough for him to grow strong? I was absolutely terrified. The nurses talked us through everything, and they were brilliant. I was struggling though.

It was 6 days before I held Bobby for the first time. Waiting for that first cuddle was so hard. My motherly instinct was to pick him up. Make it all better, but I couldn’t. That first cuddle was so very precious and I will never forget it. The first few weeks were very difficult, adjusting to being at the hospital every day and getting to grips with what had happened to us. I was surrounded by people who cared about me but I felt so alone. Everyday seemed to bring a new challenge for us. Bobby had some very rough times in NICU. Bobby contracted Necrotising Enterocolitis (NEC). He had lifesaving surgery to remove part of his bowel. There were times when I was scared for his future. I never gave up hope and Bobby fought so hard.

In total Bobby spent 17 weeks in NICU. To say it was a roller coaster is an understatement. We had some terrible days but we also had some amazing moments which I will cherish forever. Bobby amazed us and we are so very proud of him. Bobby is 3 now. He has poor eyesight and wears hearing aids but he is doing so well. He is the cheekiest monkey and he brings our family so much pleasure. I will always be very grateful to the amazing NICU teams who took such great care of our precious boy. I will always be grateful to SPOONS for their continued support. We couldn’t have done it without any of you.

If your baby has NEC and you are looking for support contact NEC UK